This European Standard is applicable to manhole tops and gully tops made of composite materials C1, C2 and C3 by using suitably controlled automatic processes that produce a single structure and that do not contain multiple pieces bonded together, with a clear opening up to and including 1 000 mm for covering gullies, manholes and inspection chambers for installation within areas subjected to pedestrian and/or vehicular traffic.
It is applicable to manhole tops and gully tops for use in:
- areas which can only be used by pedestrians and pedal cyclists (class A 15),
- pedestrian areas and comparable areas, car parks or car parking decks (class B 125),
- the area of kerbside channels of roads which, when measured from the kerb edge, extends a maximum of 0,5 m into the carriageway and a maximum of 0,2 m into the pedestrian area (class C 250),
and in addition to manhole tops for use in
- carriageways of roads (including pedestrian streets), hard shoulders and parking areas, for all types of road vehicles (class D 400).
This European Standard is not applicable in isolation but only in combination with EN 124-1 and gives guidance for combinations of covers/gratings made from composite materials with frames according to EN 124-2, EN 124-3, EN 124-4 and EN 124-6.
This document is not applicable to:
- manhole tops and gully tops manufactured by means of hand lay-up method,
- gratings/covers as part of prefabricated drainage channels according to EN 1433,
- floor and roof gullies in buildings which are specified in EN 1253 (all parts), and