This part of ISO 12643 provides safety specifications for the design and construction of new equipment used in prepress systems, printing press systems, binding and finishing systems, converting systems, corrugated board manufacturing systems and stand alone platen presses. It is applicable to equipment used in stand-alone mode, or in combination with other machines, including ancillary equipment, in which all the machine actuators (e.g. drives) of the equipment are controlled by the same control system.
The requirements given in this part of ISO 12643 are applicable to the equipment covered by all parts of ISO 12643, unless otherwise noted. This part of ISO 12643 is intended to be used in conjunction with the applicable part of ISO 12643 that contains additional requirements specific to a particular type of equipment.
This part of ISO 12643 addresses recognized significant hazards specific to equipment and systems in the following areas:
- slipping, tripping, falling;
- UV and laser radiation;
- fire and explosion;
- substances and material used for processing;
- failure, malfunction of control system
- other types of emissions [e.g. ozone, ink mist, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), etc.].
This standard is not applicable to:
- ordinary office equipment for digital printing and paper processing, such as digital printers, copiers, sorters, binders and staplers, which is intended for use outside the printing and paper industry;
- winder-slitters and sheeters in paper finishing (sheeters with unwinders);
- office-type collating machines equipped with friction feeders;
- mail processing machines;
- machines used for filling packages (such as machines for shaping, filling, and closing the package); and
- textile printing presses.
The safety principles established in this part of ISO 12643 can also be applicable to the design of equipment within areas of technology that are not specified in ISO 12643.