(1) EN 1999-1-2 deals with the design of aluminium structures for the accidental situation of fire exposure and is intended to be used in conjunction with EN 1999-1-1, EN 1999-1-2, EN 1999-1-3, EN 1999-1-4 and EN 1999-1-5. This document only identifies differences from, or supplements to, normal temperature design.
(2) EN 1999-1-2 applies to aluminium structures required to fulfil a load bearing function.
(3) EN 1999-1-2 gives principles and application rules for the design of structures for specified requirements in respect of the aforementioned function and the levels of performance.
(4) EN 1999-1-2 applies to structures, or parts of structures, that are within the scope of EN 1999 1 1 and are designed accordingly.
(5) The methods given in EN 1999-1-2 are applicable to the following aluminium alloys:
EN AW-3004 – H34 EN AW-5083 – O and H12 EN AW-6063 – T5 and T6
EN AW-5005 – O and H34 EN AW-5454 – O and H34 EN AW-6082 – T4 and T6
EN AW-5052 – H34 EN AW-6061 – T6
(6) The methods given in EN 1999-1-2 are applicable also to other aluminium alloy/tempers of EN 1999 1-1, if reliable material properties at elevated temperatures are available or the simplified assumptions in 5.2.1 are applied.
(1) In addition to the general assumptions of EN 1990, the following assumptions apply:
- the choice of the relevant design fire scenario is made by appropriate qualified and experienced personnel, or is given by the relevant national regulation.
- any active and passive fire protection systems taken into account in the design will be adequately maintained.
(2) For the design of new structures, EN 1999 is intended to be used, for direct application, together with EN 1990, EN 1991, EN 1992, EN 1993, EN 1994, EN 1995, EN 1997, EN 1998 and EN 1999.
(3) EN 1999 is intended to be used in conjunction with:
- European Standards for construction products relevant for aluminium structures
- EN 1090-1, Execution of steel structures and aluminium structures – Part 1: Requirements for conformity assessment of structural components
- EN 1090-3, Execution of steel structures and aluminium structures – Part 3: Technical requirements for aluminium structures