Sikkerhedsforskrifter for konstruktion og installation af elevatorer – Specialelevatorer til transport af personer og gods – Del 40: Trappelifte og skrånende løfteplatforme til personer med hæmmede bevægelsesmuligheder
1.1 This European Standard deals with safety requirements for construction, manufacturing, installation, maintenance and dismantling of electrically operated stairlifts (chair, standing platform and wheelchair platform) affixed to a building structure, moving in an inclined plane and intended for use by persons with impaired mobility:
- travelling over a staircase or an accessible inclined surface;
- intended for use by one person;
- whose carriage is directly retained and guided by a guide rail or rails;
- supported or sustained by chain, rack and pinion, screw and nut, friction traction drive, rope and ball.
1.2 The standard identifies hazards as listed in Clause 4 which arise during the various phases in the life of such equipment and describes methods for the elimination or reduction of these hazards when used as intended by the manufacturer.
1.3 This European standard does not specify the additional requirements for:
- operation in severe conditions (e.g. extreme climates, strong magnetic fields);
- lightning protection;
- operation subject to special rules (e.g. potentially explosive atmospheres);
- handling of materials the nature of which could lead to dangerous situations;
- use of energy systems other than electricity;
- hazards occurring during manufacture;
- earthquakes, flooding, fire;
- type C wheelchairs as defined in EN 12183 and/or EN 12184;
- evacuation during a fire;
- stairlifts for goods only;
- concrete, hardcore, timber or other foundation or building arrangement;
- design of anchorage bolts to the supporting structure.
NOTE – For the actual type of machinery, noise is not considered a significant nor relevant hazard.
1.4 This document is not applicable to power operated stairlifts which are manufactured before the date of publication of this document by CEN.